**Fee waivers are available to eligible students through the university. Please explore the fee waiver information**
Applications are accepted from candidates who intend to pursue the Ph.D. degree. We don't have a MS degree program. Applications are submitted online with an application fee, paid by credit card. The electronic application can be found on the Graduate Admissions page. The web-based application allows applicants to save entries and return several times for edits before submitting the application. The application fee is $125 for U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and international applicants. Women, underrepresented minority candidates, LGBTQ students, first generation college students, as well as individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Learn more about our culture and equity & inclusion.
A complete application includes the online application and the following supplementary materials:
- three letters of recommendation (we value letters that speak to your lab experience and scientific creativity and potential to work independently to solve research problems)
- statement of purpose (describe your research projects/skills/experience and specifically your research interests at Stanford; provide details and research group names)
- official GRE scores including the general test and subject exam in chemistry (optional)
- TOEFL scores, for applicants who have not studied in an English speaking country for at least two years leading to a BS or MS degree (we are looking for a score of 108 or higher)
- one uploaded unofficial transcript from each university you have attended for one year or longer (two official transcripts from each university you have attended for one year or longer, if you are admitted)
Applicants may take the general GRE exams in the autumn prior to applying, or earlier. Per the statement above, all GREs are optional. There is also a TOEFL requirement for foreign applicants who have not studied in an English speaking country for at least two years leading to a BS or MS degree.
Transcripts should be mailed directly to the chemistry department, but only after you receive an offer of admission:
Attn: Graduate Admissions
337 Campus Drive, Central Office
Stanford, CA 94305-4401
The on-line application deadline is December 7, 2021 for an Autumn quarter 2022 start; required supporting materials may arrive after the deadline. It is to your advantage to have your application complete as close to the deadline as possible. Therefore, we strongly recommend you ask your letter writers to submit their reference letter by the application deadline.
To check the status/activity of your application materials, please log into your application account. There you will find the most current status of all your application materials. You will also be able to send reminders to those recommenders who have not yet submitted letters of recommendation.
Applicants will be notified of the Department's decision as soon as possible after all supporting materials have been received, and in no instance later than March 15. Applicants receiving offers of admission must notify the Department of their decision to accept or decline the offer by April 15.