Job Opportunities in Industry/Fellowships & Funding
Biochemistry/Neuroscience Research Technician - Virginia Tech Carilion
Lab Location: Fralin Biomedical Research Institute at Virginia Tech Carilion Research Institute - Roanoke, Virginia
Position: Biochemistry/Neuroscience Full-Time Research Technician
Please apply at: https://jobs.vt.edu/ (Job No: 526629)
A full-time research technician is being sought to support multiple NIH-funded projects in the labs of Dr. Pearl Chiu and Dr. Brooks Casas at the Fralin Biomedical Research Institute at Virginia Tech Carilion in Roanoke, Virginia. Projects in the labs are highly interdisciplinary and combine methods from experimental and clinical psychology, neuroscience, and behavioral economics with functional neuroimaging and electrochemistry to investigate decision-making in healthy and clinical populations. The research technician will be responsible for in-vitro data collection to inform in-vivo models of human neurochemistry.
The labs are currently engaged in advanced quantitative methods to conduct leading-edge research on the role of neurotransmitters (dopamine, serotonin, and norepinephrine) in the human brain to understand human cognitive function and dysfunction. The technician may also be responsible for operating equipment in a clinical setting during study sessions with research participants. The successful candidate will be highly detail- oriented, organized, skilled with monitoring and adjusting priorities, problem solving, and ensuring careful records of interactions with participants in a hospital setting (such as in an operating room or recovery suite).They should also be able to work independently, manage time effectively, and be an effective communicator with excellent interpersonal skills. Additional duties include maintaining precise stock solutions, assisting in purchasing and monitoring supply inventory, adhering to all established Federal, State and Institute procedural and chemical safety standards and requirements.
- Must have basic lab experience including dilutions, weighing chemicals, and understand proper chemical handling
- Must have pipette experience, preferably with micro-concentrations
- Must be able to sit or stand a lab bench for extended periods of time
- Must have a demonstrated ability to interact respectfully and comfortably with all individuals in a diverse, multicultural environment, while exercising judgement and high degree of confidentiality
- Flexibility to work on weekends
- B.S. in Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry or a related field
- Interest in advancing human neuroscience
- Experience with lab equipment, such as a vortexer, centrifuge, pH meter, and balance
- Experience with HPLC, electrochemistry, and/or mass spectrometry
- Previous research experience analyzing electrochemical and/or neurotransmitter data
- Experience with data analysis
Required application materials: Cover letter, CV/Resume, and a list of references. Two letters of recommendation will be required prior to interview. Consideration of applications will begin immediately, and will end once the position is filled. Expected start date is as soon as possible.
The Fralin Biomedical Research Institute at Virginia Tech Carilion is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to cultural diversity and compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Pre-submission inquiries with CV may be emailed to:
Carey Caldwell (ccaldwell [at] vtc.vt.edu) , Lab Manager for Dr. Brooks Casas and Dr. Pearl Chiu