The Department of Chemistry accepts applications for the coterminal master's degree program quarterly. A completed application must be received in the Chemistry Student Services Office by the seventh week of the quarter to be considered for admission the following quarter.
Enrolled Stanford undergraduate students in chemistry and related disciplines may apply. A complete coterminal master's application includes the following:
- Completed Coterminal Online Application
- Statement of Purpose (1-2 pages) describing your reasons for applying, related career goals, and what you hope to accomplish while in the program, as well as your scientific interests, research experience and related capabilities not already reflected in your undergraduate transcript
- Two letters of recommendation from Stanford faculty members, preferably from the Department of Chemistry or a related scientific department, for example, from your undergraduate research advisor
- Unofficial Stanford transcript
- Preliminary Program Proposal
- Coterminal Course Approval Form
Note: GRE scores are not required.
Application deadlines for the coterminal master's degree in Chemistry are:
- Winter 2023-2024 admit term: November 3, 2023
- Spring 2023-2024 admit term: January 8, 2024
- Summer 2024 admit term: No summer application accepted
- Autumn 2024-2025: April 12, 2024
Review and Decisions
Applicants will be notified of the admission decision in writing, typically 3-4 weeks after the application deadline. If a student is approved for admission into the coterminal program, the student must respond to the department within the same quarter the offer of admission was made.