Lionel Remond Lenox is remembered as a loyal faculty member who put a strong focus on teaching and mentoring his students. Several of Professor Lenox’s students went on to join the Stanford faculty themselves. His 35 years of service spanned the formative years of Stanford University and its Chemistry Department. In 1921, he established a fellowship, which the university named the Lionel Remond Lenox fellowship in his honor, enabling the Chemistry Department faculty to award a $600 annual stipend to a promising doctoral candidate.
Born in Brooklyn, New York in 1865, Professor Lenox completed doctoral studies at Columbia University (PhD 1888). After several years as instructor at Lehigh University, he worked as a chemist with the Ordnance Department of the US Navy from 1891 to 1892. He joined the Stanford faculty as assistant professor in 1892, the university’s second year of operations, and remained an active member of the faculty until his death in 1927.