A highly regarded science educator, Professor Eric Hutchinson authored and co-authored several chemistry textbooks, including a 1962 volume in undergraduate physical chemistry. He also chronicled the first 85 years of the Stanford Chemistry Department from the launch of the university in 1891 through 1976. A gifted calligrapher, he designed official shields and flags to represent the university, Office of the President, graduate division and the seven Stanford schools at major university events.
Professor Hutchinson was born in 1920 in Morton, England. He completed undergraduate and graduate studies at Cambridge (BA, MA, PhD, 1938–1945), performing his doctoral research under Sir Eric Rideal. After a brief time as instructor at Sheffield University in England, he accepted a postdoctoral position at Stanford University for two years before taking his first faculty position at Fordham University. Within two years, he returned to Stanford to stay for the remaineder of his career. He took a post as assistant professor in 1949, rising to associate professor in 1953 and full professor of chemistry in 1959. He served as executive head of the Chemistry Department and academic secretary for the university before retiring to emeritus status in 1983.