Lab Safety and Compliance Coordinator
Position Summary: The Lab Safety and Compliance Coordinator will assist Professor Dai with continued implementation and monitoring of safety protocols and monitoring these changes in the operation of an extensive laboratory operation in the Department of Chemistry, and to ensure that the changes continue to be sustainable. This individual should be highly motivated, enthusiastic, well-organized, and able to work independently. The Lab Safety and Compliance Coordinator will conduct daily lab walk-throughs checking for safety violations (for example: incorrect animal care practices or incorrect chemical containment); will work closely with the Stanford University Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S) research safety specialist assigned to the department; as well as with the Stanford University Laboratory Animal Care (APLAC) experts. This individual will have the authority to direct researchers in the lab to take immediate action to rectify safety violations identified, and will update and report all safety violations to Professor Dai including providing detailed reports of personnel involved and actions taken.
This position is part-time (50% FTE) with flexible working hours. There is the potential for this individual to also participate in the cutting-edge research in the Dai group, provided the main job responsibilities noted above are met and the individual wishes to increase their time commitment to this position.
The ideal candidate is a friendly, proactive and dependable self-starter with strong interpersonal and communication skills. This is a busy position at times requiring a high level of professionalism, productivity, accuracy, organization, multi-tasking, independence, sound judgment, and decision-making. The position requires a motivated person with a positive attitude and a passion for customer service and supporting others to manage a wide variety of tasks in a fast-paced academic environment with frequently shifting priorities.
If you believe that this opportunity is a match for your knowledge, skills and abilities, we encourage you to apply. Thank you for considering employment opportunities with the School of Humanities and Sciences.
In this role, you will:
- Plan approach to experiments in support of research projects in lab and/or field based on knowledge of scientific theory.
- Independently conduct experiments; maintain detailed records of experiments and outcomes.
- Apply the theories and methods of a life science discipline to interpret and perform analyses of experiment results; offer suggestions regarding modifications to procedures and protocols in collaboration with senior researcher.
- Review literature on an ongoing basis to remain current with new procedures and apply learnings to related research.
- Contribute to publication of findings as needed. Participate in the preparation of written documents, including procedures, presentations, and proposals.
- Help with general lab maintenance as needed; maintain lab stock, manage chemical inventory and safety records, and provide general lab support as needed.
- Assist with orientation and training of new staff or students on lab procedures or techniques.
To learn more and apply online, please visit Stanford Careers.